How to Repair a Windshield
Windshield repair procedure
1. Preparation : To prepare the windshield crack for repair, it first needs to be cleaned and cleared of dirt and moisture and excess glass and then made into a bull's eye crack, if it's not already one. This is done to keep individual cracks and prevent it from further widening and spreading. To prevent damage, a cover or protective drape is applied to your vehicle.
2. Resin injection : New auto windshield chip repair method include the revolutionary PRISM (pre-resin injection suspension method) technology and various techniques that involve injecting resins into the cracks with or without vacuum. After loading the specified amount of resin into the injector, the bridge is positioned so that the injector is directly above the crack. Then the bridge is secured in place and proceeded with operating the injector to force resin into the crack. Alternately the pressure and vacuum controls of the injector is applied to suck out air from the crack and force resin in. After the crack has been completely filled, the bridge will be removed. The resin has the similar optical properties to windshield glass.
3. Curing :The resin used to repair windshield, is an anaerobic substance which means that, instead of air, it requires ultraviolet or UV light to dry and harden completely. The chipped area is sealed and the resin is cured by Ultra-Violet Light.
4. Resurfacing and Finishing : After the filler resin has finished curing, a sufficient amount of resurfacing resin will be applied directly to the repaired crack. This will be covered with a cellophane patch (usually supplied with the repair kit) and be cured using a UV lamp or direct sunlight. After the resurfacing resin has finished curing, the excess will be scraped off with a blade to level it out with the rest of your car windshield. Clean the area afterward with glass cleaner.
5. Once the windshield chip and crack area is repaired, the damaged area will not disappear completely. There will usually be a small mark in the damaged area and it resembles a small dried rain drop.
6. The windshield will be restored back to full strength and the chip will no longer be vulnerable to spreading. A windshield repair usually takes 30 minutes to complete.